Placeholder text, please change
Placeholder text, please change
Placeholder text, please change
Resources for Families » Emergency Resources due to Covid

Emergency Resources due to Covid

Altice (formerly Cablevision) offers a free internet product for students with no internet access at home. Installation charges are also waived. The relationship is directly between parent/guardian and Altice, so we are only providing the information. Parents are to call: 866-200-9522 to enroll.
Spectrum is also offering households with kids ages K-12 and college free WiFi for the next 60 days. Again, the relationship is directly between parent/guardian and Spectrum. To enroll:call 1-844-488-8395 or go to


General Emergency Resources:
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) COVID-19 Disability Resources
Lighthouse Mission has a page of resources broken down by category
1-888-NYC-WELL (1-888-692-9355) is a free, confidential help line for New York City residents. You can call 24 hours per day/7 days a week.

NYC Well is multilingual and multicultural:
1-888-NYC-WELL (1-888-692-9355)
1-888-692-9355 (Español)
1-888-692-9355 (中文)
711 (TTY for hearing impaired)
Food Banks:

Long Island Cares has multiple locations and an online tracked for soup kitchens and food pantries based on zip code has listings of food pantries by town
Island Harvest has an online food pantry tracker based on zip code, as well as a downloadable list of all food pantries on Long Island and in NYC Metro areas
Food Bank for New York City has an interactive food pantry locator map for all of NYC
City Harvest has a broken down list of mobile food markets so families in need have access to fresh produce
Support for DSPs:

Dear Family and Friends: 


The Long Island Advocacy Network for the Developmentally Disabled (LIANDD) is an association of family members and others advocating to better the lives of individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. To that end, LIANDD wants to support the DSPs … the front-line every-day heroes who earn little more than minimal wage yet care for our loved ones during this unprecedented COVID 19 pandemic.  These unsung heroes show up for work despite the challenges they may have in their own lives.


Here are some simple ways to let DSPs know the families and friends of those that they bravely care for, genuinely appreciate their efforts.   


How You Can Help:


Lunch for our CareGivers!


Purchase a gift certificate to a restaurant such as Panera, Chipotle, Dominos or Papa Johns, or to a restaurant delivery service such as Grubhub or Doordash and send to (Agency insert here who you want the gift certificate sent to). The gift certificate recipient should be (add name of provider agency).


Snacks for our CareGivers!


Jump on Amazon and order coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cookies or other goodies for the group home staff.  A warm beverage and a little comfort food on a well-deserved break can go a long way.


Spread the Word


Reach out to your family and friends. Let them know about the DSPs monumental work. Ask them to support your efforts by purchasing a gift certificate to a restaurant or delivery service as described above. 


Send a Word!


Send a card or note to the staff thanking them for the wonderful job they are doing to support our loved ones … maybe include an inspirational quote or two!  


Thank you! 

Roy Probeyahn, Immediate Past President of LIANDD

Francesca Kerimian, President of LIANDD


Rental Assistance Programs:

Center for Urban Community Services - Assistance includes homeless prevention, shelter, and both transitional and permanent housing. Case managers provide other support as well, including budgeting, career counseling and job search assistance.

Family Eviction Prevention Supplement offers payments to cover any back rent that may be due by the family. If the eviction is prevented, a monthly subsidy can help with future housing payments.

Hebrew and Jewish Society - Interest free loans may be issued for emergency rent or paying other housing costs such as a security deposit for the homeless. There may be restrictions to the applicant’s faith on some of their programs, but others are more wide ranging.

The Department of Human Resources Administration is involved in many housing assistance programs. They can provide emergency grants to help with rent or energy bill payments, provide supportive housing for the disabled or seniors, and operate shelters. HRA is also involved in legal aid, providing rental and deposit assistance to immigrants, free eviction help in housing court, operate income based rental homes in the city, and much more.

LINC (Living in Communities) is a program in which Human Resources Administration takes a lead. The homeless or recently evicted in New York City can receive a grant to help subsidize their monthly rent in a new home or low income apartment. Assistance is for victims of domestic violence, the poor, and others.

NYC emergency solution grants are available based on federal government funding levels. The money can be used for rent to stop an eviction or housing expenses to place someone into a new home or apartment. The program is available for a diverse group, including anyone with a low income facing a crisis. Grants are often received by senior citizens as well as the disabled as well. Dial (212) 639-9675 for referrals to the program.

The Central Council of Society of St. Vincent de Paul operates across New York and all boroughs. Based on volunteers and donation levels, they may have some money as a form of rental or utility assistance. Or the church can provide referrals to other non-profits. Telephone - (212) 755-8615.

Helpline from Catholic Charities can be reached at 888-744-7900. Regardless of the resident’s religion, the working poor may learn about rent programs as well as housing assistance. There may be emergency financial aid for paying rent arrears to stop eviction, shelters in New York City, and more. Programs are also for the vulnerable such as new immigrants, the elderly or single parents.

Housing Court Answers operates an eviction and homeless prevention hotline. Dial 212-962-4795. Information on rental assistance, shelter, and legal support is available across all of New York City, including Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx, and Staten Island.They also help ensure apartments are repaired by landlords, offer referrals to loans and financial aid for rent, utilities, and deposits, or also lists local shelter. Landlord mediation can also be arranged for tenants to stop an eviction.

The Office of Civil Justice uses government grants to provide both free anti-eviction as well as anti-harassment legal aid. All tenants in New York City that are behind on their rent and/or facing eviction due to discrimination, unsafe living conditions, or another challenge can get free legal assistance from the city. There may also be referrals to grant programs from HRA for paying back rent, money to pay for relocation or moving fees, and other support.

Bronx Rent Assistance Programs:

The agencies below can provide free legal assistance and advice to help stop an eviction throughout the Bronx area. Also get information on grants, government programs, and other options that can help pay back rent for someone facing a crisis.
Legal Aid Society (Bronx)
953 Southern Boulevard
Bronx, New York 10459
Phone: 718-991-4758

LSNY Bronx
369 East 148th Street
Bronx, NY 10455

Neighborhood Association for Intercultural Affairs
Main address: 1055 Grand Concourse
Bronx, NY 10452
Contact - 718-538-3344

CAMBA Legal Services
855 Flatbush Ave
Brooklyn, New York 11226
Phone number 718-287-0010

Brooklyn Rent Assistance:

Get information on local organizations in Brooklyn New York that can prevent evictions and provide emergency rental assistance to qualified individuals and families. Each may have its own application process and limited funding, but they may be able to help.

Legal Aid Society (Brooklyn)
166 Montague
Brooklyn, New York 11201
Telephone - 718-722-3100
Focuses more on offering free or low cost legal advice, landlord/tenant mediation services, and other support to renters.
South Brooklyn Legal Services
105 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201

New York City One Shot Emergency Program:

A cash grant is provided in New York City as part of the One Shot program. The emergency fund was created in an effort to assist families and individuals that are faced with an unexpected crisis situation that was not caused by them. A number of conditions need to be met and a formal application process is in place.

Funds can be used to meet a variety of needs and expenses. Some of the more common requests are for assistance with paying home energy and utility bills when faced with a disconnection, rental assistance in cases of eviction, the purchase of personal items for safety and health issues, and maybe even disaster assistance including partial reimbursement for moving expenses. Funds are usually paid out to prevent homelessness, to pay for heating during the winter, or medications for a life threatening condition. So the need has to be extreme and urgent.

As indicated, the city does set several conditions. Maybe the best way to determine if you qualify for a One Shot grant is to contact a social services agency in your borough. Residents can stop by a location in Brooklyn, Manhattan, the Bronx, or any other part of New York City. The reason this is always a good idea as you may be referred to another local or federal government benefit program in lieu of a One Shot. If you have no other option, then the social worker may refer the individual to the job center or HRA office in your neighborhood.

Applications are also accepted and processed at your local Human Resources Administration office. They are located around all of New York City, including in Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan. Anyone who applies will need to meet with a social worker, they need to meet several eligibility guidelines and they will need to be agree to be subject to an investigative review of their application.

The social service staff will need to evaluate the client's situation, income levels, and crisis situation. They will determine the benefit that can be provided, if any. All requests for One Shot assistance are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Potential clients will meet with a case worker who will review your documents, so be prepared. They will often make a follow-up appointment with applicants. In addition, candidates will also have to meet with the Bureau of Eligibility Verification and the process they have in place.

Type of expenses and bills paid by One Shot

While the New York City program can address various needs, the most common One Shot requests are for paying rent, utilities and moving costs. However families often have other options available to them as well for one time cash assistance for those needs. In addition, the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/TANF and ODVEIS programs may have emergency funding. Other resources include HEAP, UAP and Heatline, which can provide a form of One Shot grants when needed. While these services are related, FIA/TANF and ODEVIS are organizationally separate entities with their own funding and terms.

Sometimes the beneficiary will need to repay the city. The Human Resources Administration will review several scenarios in order to make this decision. In general, those New York City families who do not have to pay HRA back include residents with children in the household who show good reason for falling behind on rent, SSI recipients, and also those that are receiving four months of rent assistance or less.

In general, people who need to repay some or all of the grant money include those without children in the household, families receiving more than four months of housing expenses, Public Assistance recipients, and those who do not have a great reason for their struggles.

As indicated, documentation and proof of hardship is required. You should be prepared to have some or all of the following. Copy of your lease or rent bill, Photo ID, Housing court papers, social security cards for all household members, and proof of income.

The main phone number for Human Resources Administration is 718-557-1399. Call for information or referrals to a local office.